It has been a while since I’ve used black garlic in a recipe and also quite sometime since I have published a soup recipe. But the motivation to write this is simple; I have a lot of broccoli in my fridge to use up after an online cookery lesson yesterday.
I chose to make a toastie you can dip into the soup rather than put the cheese into the soup and “muddy” the flavour of the broccoli. The soup also has a small amount of Cavolo Nero Kale which helps to give the soup a wonderful intense green colour.
Ingredients (four portions)
200 grams broccoli cut into small pieces
50 grams Cavolo Nero Kale cut into small pieces
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
100 grams finely diced onions
250 grams peeled and diced potatoes
2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Pumpkin seeds (optional)
Crème Fraîche (optional)
- Sweat the onions in the olive oil until tender without colour.
- Add the potatoes and the stock and simmer gently until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the broccoli and Cavolo Nero kale and continue to cook on a low heat until the broccoli is just cooked.
- Puree the soup in a food processor and sieve through a fine strainer if you wish to make it silky smooth. If you do this, make sure you press all the soup through well so as not to lose any volume.
- Season with sea salt and pepper, and keep warm.
Sourdough Cheddar and Black Garlic Toasties
4 slices of thin white Sourdough Bread
4 large cloves Black Garlic finely chopped
100 grams Quality mature cheddar cheese
75g Full Fat Soft Cheese
25 grams unsalted butter
- Lightly toast 4 slices of sourdough bread.
- Mix the 1/2 of the black garlic with the cream cheese and spread onto the toast.
- Top 2 slices with the grated cheddar cheese and top this with the other slices of toast to create two toasties.
- On a medium heat melt the butter in a large nonstick frying and gentle cook the toasties, turning from time to time until they are golden brown.
Cut the two toasties in half and serve 1 half with each portion of soup. Top the hot soup with a drizzle of Crème Fraîche (optional) and the green pumpkin seeds.
For UK readers, the black garlic I used you can buy on Amazon here
Broccoli Soup with Cheddar and Black Garlic Toastie © Kevin Ashton 2021